Civil Partner Visa

Civil Partner Visa

Civil Partner Visa

A civil partnership is a legal relationship within two people of same gender. They will be given same priority and receive same treatment in a range of legal matters as opposite-gender couples who are married.

A Civil Partner Visa permits an individual in an equivalent sex relationship who isn’t an EEA national to settle in the UK with their UK or EEA national accomplice. To be eligible to enter the UK you will require to be granted entry clearance before your arrival.

How to qualify for a Civil Partner Visa

You and your same sex partner who are intertwined with marriage relationship are eligible to enter the UK. Certain credentials need to be fulfilled to be fit for having civil partner visa which are following:

  1. Both of you must be at least 18 years older and provide notice to be registered a civil partnership at a registry office.
  2. You must have met each other and be legally married as same sex partners.
  3. You and your same sex partner must be willing to live together permanently.
  4. Your sponsoring partner must have enough to support you financially without claiming any public funds. You are not required to meet the financial requirements if you have refugee status and if you do not meet the financial credentials then you have to prove that you earn a minimum annual income.
  5. Your sponsoring partner must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough saving to support you.
  6. You must be eligible to accommodate yourself, your civil partner or any dependants.
  7. You must meet the English language requirements.

Want to find out if you qualify for a Civil Partner Visa?

Talk to our experts and get the right advice first time, every time.

 Length of stay and right to work on the Civil Partner Visa

Civil partner visas are initially issued for 33 months or 30 months for one time period. Applying to extend your civil partnership visa will allow you to stay for more 30 months. However, once you spent a period of five years on a civil partner visa you will be eligible to apply for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) if you are still married and living with your civil partner in the UK and you are eligible to meet requirements mentioned above.

You are eligible to apply civil partnership visa from inside or outside the UK. Once you visa is granted, however, you will have the permission to work in the UK

How we can help you

Getting the right legal advice is important and at ICS Legal, we conduct a number of these applications. You can email our team on, complete our contact form by clicking here or call us on 0207 237 3388 between the hours of Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm. Our “independent reviews” on free index provides you with the reassurance that we can assist on all immigration based applications and you can click here to read our independent reviews.