UK Fiancé & Spouse Visas: A Guide for Your Sponsor


UK Spouse Visa Evidence ListPreparing your application for the UK fiancé or Spouse visa is without a doubt a daunting process. It seems, however, that what is required can be split into two parts: documents from your UK partner (the sponsor) and details from yourself (the applicant). In this article we will try to break down some of the documents that your sponsor will need to provide. Be on the look out for part two of this guide, which will include the documents required by the applicant.


Before we start, it is worth noting that this is only our interpretation of the provided documentation. It is always worth reading the supporting documents yourself to come to your own conclusions, and getting professional legal advice where possible. You can find the UK government guide on applying for the fiancé or spousevisa here. We would also recommend reading our guide to the deciding whether the fiancé visa is for you, and why to choose the visa over other available options before getting started on this guide. If you have already decided that you are going to make the application, we wish you the best of luck, and hope that this guide helps. Without further ado, here are the documents that your sponsor will need to provide:

1. Sponsor’s proof of income

One of the most controversial requirements that must be fulfilled for your application to be successful is for your UK based sponsor to earn over £18,000 per year. To prove your sponsor’s income, you must provide the most recent 6 months worth of pay slips, so make sure you keep these!

Pay slips are sent to any UK employee by their employer, as a record of their pay for the previous month. Obviously, as you only have to provide 6 months worth of these, the total earned by your sponsor in this period only needs to equal half of the per annum financial requirement, totalling £9,000 over a 6 month period.

  • 6 months payslips
  • 6 months bank statements


2. Proof of appropriate accommodation for applicant

The exact documents that are required for this section are not set in stone. But, as a general rule, it is worth providing a copy of your tenancy agreement or mortgage and a letter from your landlord (if applicable) acknowledging the fact that they are aware that the applicant will be living there. If you own your own home, you will need to provide land registry documents that prove ownership rather than a letter from the landlord. Please bear in mind that these documents must be for the house in which the applicant will be staying. Therefore, if your partner will be staying with your friends or family, this must be clear and the documents must be provided for that accommodation and not your own.

Further, you will need to provide proof that the house will not be overcrowded. A house is considered overcrowded if two or more unmarried people are forced to sleep in the same room. Yep, that means if your partner is staying with you then there must be two rooms within the house or apartment that are suitable for sleeping in. In our understanding of the law, both bedrooms and living rooms are suitable rooms for sleeping in. Therefore if you and your partner are sharing an apartment, it must have a minimum of one bedroom and one living room, or two bedrooms. In addition, only rooms of 50 square feet or more will be counted. To prove that the house will not be overcrowded, we would recommend including proof of the number of rooms and the floor size of each within your accommodation.

  • Letter from landlord
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Copy of land registry agreement
  • Photographs of house
  • Council tax bill or receipt

3. Proof of sponsor’s right to live in the UK

This is one of the easier aspects of the application, as very little is actually required to fulfil this requirement. You must include within here a copy of your bio data page from your passport. While these do not need to be originals, they should be notarised by a solicitor if possible. You should also include a letter of introduction or support, written from your family stating that they are supportive of your marriage. Some sources also recommend including a copy of your degree certificate (if applicable) to prove your level of education.

  • Copy of biodata page passport
  • Letter from family
  • Degree certificate (optional)

4. Evidence of intent to marry

While this is a joint responsibility between the sponsor and applicant, it is most likely that the majority of the documentation will come from the sponsor, as the sponsor will have more access to venues, suppliers and officials within the UK. And while there are no hard and fast rules of what to include in this section, some examples of what you could provide are: a booking of your appointment to register to get married (you must give at least 15 days notice), confirmation of your ceremony from the venue and receipts from anything you have purchased, including rings, venues, caterers etc.

  • Booking of notice to marry at the registrar office
  • Confirmation of the date
  • Receipts from all relevant purchases

These are all the documents that the sponsor is responsible for providing. Remember that in the UK, only your fiancé or spouse is able to sponsor you for this visa. There are not too many, and most are easy to acquire, but it is always worth including a little bit more than a little bit less.

If you have any questions on the fiancé or spouse visa process contact us

Immigration Lawyers | Immigration & Visa Specialists | Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm | | 020 7237 3388